Pages (3): 1 2 3   
TM59
TM59
TM59   04-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I am scheduled for Phalloplasty surgery with Dr. Curtis Crane in San Francisco. Excited but nervous as his practice is new and I have not seen outcomes or know anyone who has has this surgery with him. Anyone have experience with Dr. Crane?
rj0813
rj0813
rj0813   04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
(04-14-2013, 08:58 AM)TM59 Wrote: I am scheduled for Phalloplasty surgery with Dr. Curtis Crane in San Francisco. Excited but nervous as his practice is new and I have not seen outcomes or know anyone who has has this surgery with him. Anyone have experience with Dr. Crane?

Congrats! When is your surgery? I have a consultation with Dr. Crane scheduled for May 20th. What flap are you going with, and how did you decide?

Best of luck getting more information, I've been searching high and low and I haven't found any phalloplasty results. I imagine there'll be some experiences popping up in the next month or so.
TM59
TM59
TM59   04-19-2013, 03:23 AM
(04-18-2013, 09:30 PM)rj0813 Wrote: Congrats! When is your surgery? I have a consultation with Dr. Crane scheduled for May 20th. What flap are you going with, and how did you decide?

Best of luck getting more information, I've been searching high and low and I haven't found any phalloplasty results. I imagine there'll be some experiences popping up in the next month or so.

My surgery is scheduled for September. I chose the LDM (back). My forearms are thin and my Anterior thigh too fat, so that left my back. Also the back is closed primarily without the need of a skin graft.
This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM by Joshua.
medman
medman
medman   10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
He has results posted on his website now: http://brownsteincrane.com/ftm-phalloplasty-photos/

(04-19-2013, 03:23 AM)TM59 Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 09:30 PM)rj0813 Wrote: Congrats! When is your surgery? I have a consultation with Dr. Crane scheduled for May 20th. What flap are you going with, and how did you decide?

My surgery is scheduled for September. I chose the LDM (back). My forearms are thin and my Anterior thigh too fat, so that left my back. Also the back is closed primarily without the need of a skin graft.
John
John
John   11-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Hope your healing well. Congrats. Hello, I would also like to go to Crane. Would you be willing to share updates, etc? Also, did you pay out of pocket or insurance? If so what insurance and what was the process like with Crane's office processing your request to pay using insurance? I am looking to use Aetna and my policy has an inclusion for the procedure. we can chat off lien if that's easier. thanks

RJ, I am also looking to find out more on Crane from folks who have had the procedure with him and/or consultation. Right now he is my first choice (ALT). I keep hearing mixed reviews on his policy of accepting insurance. Would be great to chat with you more about your experience.

thanks

(04-18-2013, 09:30 PM)rj0813 Wrote:
(04-14-2013, 08:58 AM)TM59 Wrote: I am scheduled for Phalloplasty surgery with Dr. Curtis Crane in San Francisco. Excited but nervous as his practice is new and I have not seen outcomes or know anyone who has has this surgery with him. Anyone have experience with Dr. Crane?

Congrats! When is your surgery? I have a consultation with Dr. Crane scheduled for May 20th. What flap are you going with, and how did you decide?

This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 11:10 PM by John.
TM59
TM59
TM59   11-08-2013, 10:11 AM
If you go to Dr. Curtis Crane's website he has uploaded Phalloplasty photos now. I have recovered and am back to work. I decided on the RFA, instead of the back. All working well. No complications. Go to Dr. Crane, he is great!

Hi John, I will share updates. I used the RFA as my donor site. I was back at the Gym and ran 5 miles 7 weeks post-op. I was urinating on my own after 10 days. Everything looks and functions well. I have complete use of my arm but still have some swelling, and numbness over my thumb and the donor forearm. The forearm scar is hideous, make no mistake, but the phallus is great looking so its a trade-off. I have Health-net of California. They paid for it all with no dollar limit.. Contact Cranes Office, the staff are wonderful, and will answer all your questions regarding insurance. His site now has photos. Go for it!
(11-07-2013, 11:07 PM)John Wrote: Hope your healing well. Congrats. Hello, I would also like to go to Crane. Would you be willing to share updates, etc? Also, did you pay out of pocket or insurance? If so what insurance and what was the process like with Crane's office processing your request to pay using insurance? I am looking to use Aetna and my policy has an inclusion for the procedure. we can chat off lien if that's easier. thanks

RJ, I am also looking to find out more on Crane from folks who have had the procedure with him and/or consultation. Right now he is my first choice (ALT). I keep hearing mixed reviews on his policy of accepting insurance. Would be great to chat with you more about your experience.

thanks

This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM by TM59.
John
John
John   11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
TM,
Thanks for sharing. I'd visited Dr. Crane's site and saw photos, but realize those are always reflections of 'best case scenarios' and not necessarily indicative of a wide variety of experiences. Prior to yourself, I'd never personally spoken with someone who had it with him. You recovery is impressive. What do you think made the difference (tho I realize everyone's body reacts different to the trauma of surgery. Was there any particular prep you felt was tantamount to a smooth recovery?) Did he do/or you request a pre-fabrication of the urethra? How do you feel about your glansplasty, and scrotoplasty ? (if that was done as a 1-step) Also, did you have a vaginectomy performed as part of your one step? I've heard from many, that urethra prefabrication, and vagnect. performed as separate steps reduces complications. I have already complete a complete hysto, and top surgery, been on 'T' for many years now. No additional lower work done besides hysto. Currently, my main prep work is losing weight but I also plan on getting electrolysis on donor site. Did you get electrolysis on your arm? I've been told by a few guys and Dr.'s that doing so reduces risk of strictures and infection from active hair follicles on the phallus.

best wishes on your journey

(11-08-2013, 10:11 AM)TM59 Wrote: If you go to Dr. Curtis Crane's website he has uploaded Phalloplasty photos now. I have recovered and am back to work. I decided on the RFA, instead of the back. All working well. No complications. Go to Dr. Crane, he is great!

Hi John, I will share updates. I used the RFA as my donor site. I was back at the Gym and ran 5 miles 7 weeks post-op. I was urinating on my own after 10 days. Everything looks and functions well. I have complete use of my arm but still have some swelling, and numbness over my thumb and the donor forearm. The forearm scar is hideous, make no mistake, but the phallus is great looking so its a trade-off. I have Health-net of California. They paid for it all with no dollar limit.. Contact Cranes Office, the staff are wonderful, and will answer all your questions regarding insurance. His site now has photos. Go for it!
(11-07-2013, 11:07 PM)John Wrote: Hope your healing well. Congrats. Hello, I would also like to go to Crane. Would you be willing to share updates, etc? Also, did you pay out of pocket or insurance? If so what insurance and what was the process like with Crane's office processing your request to pay using insurance? I am looking to use Aetna and my policy has an inclusion for the procedure. we can chat off lien if that's easier. thanks

thanks

TM59
TM59
TM59   11-09-2013, 12:21 AM
He is new to the bay area so I probably was the 10th patient he has done in his new practice. Yes I did get electrolysis, although I only needed one visit because I have very little hair on my arms. I also had already had the Hysto and chest surgery, so I got the vaginectomy, urethral lengthening, glansplasty and scrotal sac done in a one step. They both look great. The testicular and penile implants will be placed in 9 months. I lost weight for the surgery. You are correct though, everyone responds to surgery differently. Me and my wife are both Operating room nurses. We knew what to expect, and are both comfortable with surgical procedures, and, I have always healed quickly. But to be honest, Cranes outcomes were better than we expected. I am very pleased.
(11-08-2013, 07:41 PM)John Wrote: TM,
Thanks for sharing. I'd visited Dr. Crane's site and saw photos, but realize those are always reflections of 'best case scenarios' and not necessarily indicative of a wide variety of experiences. Prior to yourself, I'd never personally spoken with someone who had it with him. You recovery is impressive. What do you think made the difference (tho I realize everyone's body reacts different to the trauma of surgery. Was there any particular prep you felt was tantamount to a smooth recovery?) Did he do/or you request a pre-fabrication of the urethra? How do you feel about your glansplasty, and scrotoplasty ? (if that was done as a 1-step) Also, did you have a vaginectomy performed as part of your one step? I've heard from many, that urethra prefabrication, and vagnect. performed as separate steps reduces complications. I have already complete a complete hysto, and top surgery, been on 'T' for many years now. No additional lower work done besides hysto. Currently, my main prep work is losing weight but I also plan on getting electrolysis on donor site. Did you get electrolysis on your arm? I've been told by a few guys and Dr.'s that doing so reduces risk of strictures and infection from active hair follicles on the phallus.

best wishes on your journey

(11-08-2013, 10:11 AM)TM59 Wrote: If you go to Dr. Curtis Crane's website he has uploaded Phalloplasty photos now. I have recovered and am back to work. I decided on the RFA, instead of the back. All working well. No complications. Go to Dr. Crane, he is great!

thanks

rufus
rufus
rufus   11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
TM59 - I am to have surgery with Dr. Crane January 24. I would like to talk to you about what I need to bring with me for the after care. My wife and I are renting an apartment for a month in San Francisco. I have many questions I would like to ask you since you have had the surgery.

Rufus
Sylas
Sylas
Sylas   02-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I am scheduled for Phalloplasty consultation with Dr. Crane in this early Spring. I want to get radial flap forearm first, but I think that I have to go on with ALT. I am Deaf-born and sign a lot in ASL with my both hands. I am not sure, if RFF has some disadvantages to my hand. However, RFA has the best erogenous sensation than ALT. I wonder, if RFF has less complication than ALT? Anyone is signing with ASL after RFF surgery? Also, I will get electrolysis on my donor site soon. I have to wait until my consultation with Dr. Crane.

Thank you
Pages (3): 1 2 3