IanZborovski
IanZborovski
IanZborovski   10-17-2013, 04:43 AM
Hello everyone,

my name's Ian and I'm a FtM post-graduate student in psycholinguistics (an interdisciplinary research area that explores how our world view depends on the language we use and vice versa). For my PhD paper, I currently explore how associative experiment tools can help to emphasize specific living experience of transgender people in different cultures. A free associative experiment is a very simple survey where a respondent is asked to give any first association to provided words. After that, the results will be collected and compared to associative dictionaries of corresponding language (they provide average associative norms for the whole nation - variuos responses and their quantity).

I've already done that type of questionning in Russian (that's my mother tongue) and the results received from transgender participants turned out to be quite different in comparison to the average norm and were strongly affected by personal experience and social attitude towards transgender people in our society. I would love to do the same kind of experiment in English and probably some other languages, too, and see which aspects of being transgendered in a Western society associative fields of English-speaking participants will reflect.

I would be very grateful if any of you could invest about 15 minutes of your time to fill in the survey I created on GoogleDocs and help me collect all the necessary information. The article shall be published after the conference "On the Crossroads: Methodology, theory and practice of LGBT and Queer Studies" hold in St. Petersburg (Russia) on the 25-27 October 2013. I will certainly translate my article into English and provide a link as soon as it'll be ready so that you could have a look on whether it works or not. )

Here it goes: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CU0171d...s/viewform .

A short article explaining what associative experiments are and where they were held (for those who want to learn more about it): http://it-claim.ru/Persons/Vilomova_Kate...iments.pdf .

The survey is open to all non-cisgender native English speakers. It's completely anonymous so if you know someone who might be interested in participating please send them a link!

Any questions or comments are welcomed.

Many thanks in advance,
Ian