Boarderdude
Boarderdude
Boarderdude   09-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Hi all -
I'm really down and need some advice.  To give you a quick background, my #1 goal in surgery was the ability of standing to void.  I had other desires as well, which all factored into my decision to go the metoidioplasty/urethral extension route with Dr. Miro in April 2016.  I know complications aren't uncommon, but I have been disheartened to have a fistula which never completely closed.  The fistula is extremely small; in fact, so small that I can stand to pee if I use my finger to create pressure against the hole.  However, I still have problems with residual dripping once I release the pressure. 

I have consulted Dr. Zhao and Dr. Bluebond-Langner at NYU with the hopes of having the fistula fixed so I can have my right testicle restored (lost due to infection) and get on with my life.  After going through 2 cystoscopies to locate the fistula, his reparation plan is to use a graft from my thigh to rebuild the urethra.  He said that even going this route I only had a 3 in 5 chance of the initial fix being successful. 

I figured a hole this small would be a fairly easy fix, so I'm extremely depressed to receive this news.  Others' accounts I have read regarding fistulas are that they had a repair completed after the initial surgery which closed the fistula.  Hence, I never considered it a possibility that I may never be completely restored.  At this point, I have two decisions: 1.  Live the rest of my life plugging a hole and dealing with post-drippage or 2.  Attempt a repair with the surgeon knowing it's a gamble I could end up worse off and lose my ability to STP.

While I desperately want to STP without dealing with drippage, I'm afraid of going through more surgery and ending up worse off than I am now.  I have plans to have my testicle re-inserted and the mons completed, but I think I need to deal with the fistula first.  Any thoughts or words of advice you could offer me?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick