orangiah
orangiah
orangiah   02-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone! My name's Jesse. I'm 22 years old and currently living in New York, just outside NYC. I'm not on T and haven't 100% decided if I want to be yet, but I'm pretty set on and currently working towards top surgery at the very least.

I've been slowly saving up for a while, but now that coverage is apparently mandated in New York, I guess I can start actually figuring out logistics? Thing is I don't really know where to start -- up until now my parents have basically dealt with all of my insurance/medical care so I'm completely clueless about how it works, but they're not going to help me out with any of this so I've been a bit overwhelmed.

I'm currently seeing a therapist who, while not an expert in trans issues, is willing to work with me and probably write a letter if needed, so I feel like I'll be able to get things in order -- I just don't really know how to go about finding a surgeon or getting coverage...?

Any help/advice would be appreciated! In any case, it's really nice to meet you all. Smile
Joshua
Joshua
Joshua   04-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Nice to "meet" you, Jesse!

It sounds like a good first step would be to get a copy of your insurance policy and read it. Check out this page for additional information:
FTM Top Surgery Insurance Coverage - What You Need to Know

You can use the map here to locate surgeons near you:
Top Surgery Surgeons

Hope this helps!

Joshua