TJGrey
TJGrey
TJGrey   05-12-2018, 04:37 AM
Lately my dysphoria has been getting worse. I just turned 21 and I wish I had something to show for it. I haven't been to the beach in three years. My parents always tell me they are going to help but something always gets in the way of them doing so. The surgeon I want to see doesn't accept health insurance. Not that it would matter if he did. I don't have insurance. I'm a full time college student so I don't work. I guess it's my fault I don't have it yet. Since I'm not able to work and go to school. I feel like I'm falling apart. I already got the letter and got through the consultation. All I need to do is come up with the money, but unfortunately no one cares unless you're "insta famous." Im currently holding on, but my grip is slipping. If anyone can help I'd be so greatful for it.Top Surgery
Joshua
Joshua
Joshua   05-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Hey TJ, I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been away.

And I'm sorry you're going through this; it's not fair.

Figuring out the financials of Top Surgery can be really tricky, as you know. Insurance is out, OK. What state are you in? I take it your college doesn't have health insurance that could help.

Saving money can be really hard. It requires more coming in and/or less going out.

You're right about crowd funding. It's often not successful unless you have a network of people with some disposable income and you excel at the art of asking for money.

There are some grants available, have you looked into those? But only a few people get these; you may be better off pursuing on your own.

Your parents seem to be willing to help. Can you come up with a plan to bring to them? For example, off the top of my head, if they pay for surgery you will work it off by doing X for them, something along these lines... get creative!

Do you have a support network you can rely on? Other trans friends who understand what you are going through?

I wish I could do more for you, but I hope this somewhat helpful.

Regards,
Joshua